Many Headaches and Migraines are clearly triggered by eating certain foods. When You avoid those food triggers You will reduce the number of migraines You got overall.
Foods that contain high amounts of Tyramine are often the worst food triggers. Use The Low Tyramine Diet listed below to know which foods to avoid.
Tyramine is produced in foods from the natural breakdown of the amino acid tyrosine. Tyramine is not added to foods. Tyramine levels increase in foods when they are aged, fermented, stored for long periods of time, or are not fresh.
General Low Tyramine Headache Diet Guideline
- Each day eat three meals with a snack at night or six small meals spread throughout the day.
- Avoid eating high sugar foods on an empty stomach, when excessively hungry, or in place of a meal.
- All food, especially high protein foods, should be prepared and eaten fresh.
- Be cautious of leftovers held for more than one or two days at refrigerator temperature.
- Freeze leftovers that you want to store for more than 2 or 3 days.
- Cigarette and cigar smoke contain a multitude of chemicals that will trigger or aggravate your headache.
- If you smoke, make quitting a high priority. Enter a smoking cessation program.
- Freshly purchased and prepared meats, fish, and poultry, Eggs, Tuna fish, tuna salad (with allowed ingredients)
- Milk: whole, 2% or skim
- Cheese: American, cottage, farmer, ricotta, cream cheese, Velveeta, low-fat processed
- Commercially prepared yeast, Product leavened with baking powder: biscuits, pancakes, coffee, cakes, etc.
- All cooked and dry cereals, All pasta: spaghetti, rotini ravioli, (w/allowed ingredients), macaroni, and egg noodles.
- Asparagus, string beans, beets, carrots, spinach, pumpkin, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, broccoli, potatoes, onions cooked in food, Chinese pea pods, navy beans, soy beans, any not on restricted list.
- Apple, applesauce, cherries, apricots, peaches, any not on restricted list.
- Soups made from allowed ingredients, homemade broths.
- Decaffeinated coffee, fruit juices, club soda, caffeine-free carbonated beverages.
- Any made with allowed foods and ingredients: sugar, jelly, jam, honey, hard candies, cakes, cookies.
- All cooking oils and fats, White vinegar, Commercial salad dressing with allowed ingredients.